Friday, July 28, 2017

Embracing Ignorance Through Photography and Curiosity



Yesterday, I found myself in a slaughter-house cooler, maneuvering among hanging hog and beef carcasses. The suspended meat was on a rail system where workers could move them around, as needed. I made a few exposure and felt rather comfortable as I remembered that it was 98 degrees outside.

I was on the road for Sidetracked: Travels Across Undiscovered Florida. Ask anyone in these parts, "Where's the beef (or, pork)?" and you probably will be directed to Braddock's Slaughter-house. Here, everyone is family or thought of as family. Friendly and knowledgeable, I learned quite a bit during my session. This wasn't difficult as everything I knew about steak and pork tenderloins was that they were neatly packaged at the local grocery ready for me to buy. There was a lot to discover.

There is a difference between a butcher and meat cutter. Who knew?

I listened to stories while pork chops, sausage and beef steaks were being cut. While Audie, the meat cutter, had all ten fingers, you did not want to distract him from his job.

There was a use for the "ticker, licker and the fly swatter." You figure it out.

Having a genuine curiosity about other people's stories is like the basics of photographic composition. Explore the subject from every angle and look for the details — curiosity leads to new discoveries and that's what a meaningful life is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment