Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Photography and Curiosity in The Lone Star State



I'm fascinated about history. I am currently reading a biography of Ulysses S. Grant and I have a stack of history books on the table waiting to be read. When I travel, I have to find about the history of the area. What prominent citizens lived there? What industries shaped the city or community? Were there events that contributed to the success or demise of the area? What was the cultural identity? After finding that information, I then try to explore that history through photography. 

When traveling, everyone photographs the iconic landmarks — Big Ben, The Eiffel Tower, The Statue of Liberty. When I was in San Antonio, I went to see The Alamo and I was rather disappointed. It was in the middle of downtown and, as you might expect, had lots of tourists. I knew I would photograph The Alamo. It was predictable and easy; but I ended up disengaged and frustrated. It was boring. Myself, and every other tourist was making pretty much the same kinds of images


I made my obligatory photographs but I heard there were other missions along some back roads out of town. Lugging my 4 x 5 and tripod, I discovered the beautiful architecture and history of lesser-known San Antonio missions and shot more sheet film during this adventure than any other photo shoot in my career. There was no one else around — just me and my sense of curiosity.

I believe curiosity allows me to be open to the surprises in my life. I always want to know what is around the bend in the road and what is around the next street corner. While I consider myself an introvert, I enjoy talking to strangers and finding out what they do for a living, what off-the-beaten paths they recommend or where they like to eat lunch or dinner. Being uncomfortable is not a bad thing. When I'm comfortable, I am content and not open to possibilities. When I am curious, I seek the unexpected. Curiosity made all the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment