Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Photography, Curiosity and Taking Wrong Turns



I took a wrong turn this morning. Well, not exactly.

I was wandering around downtown DeLand, looking for things to photograph — people, architecture, signs, street scenes, back alleys, etc. and I ended up walking in front of the local landmark, the historic Volusia County Courthouse. Built in 1929, the architecture is gothic, neo-classical with a cupola and clock tower. Everybody photographs this iconic structure. I have photographed it numerous times myself, from every conceivable vantage point and composition including one from the rooftop of a building a mile away.

I turned to walk away from the structure but hesitated and decided to check out the inside of the courthouse. I had been inside before, but, with camera in tow, I really wanted to look for new and interesting photographic possibilities.

With fresh eyes to consider various perspectives, the interior gave me several photo opportunities. It is an elegant structure; bright with numerous distinctive architectural elements from stained glass to ornate columns.



In addition to the architectural features, what distinguishes the courthouse interior is the art. There are several paintings depicting local and state history and a few fine-art photographs. The paintings offer different styles and are intricate in detail. I made quite a few photographs and learned about Florida history from the painting descriptions.

Following my curiosity about the courthouse interior led to new photographs and discovery. Curiosity means wanting to know more. Being curious about things that you may usually ignore and finding the extraordinary in your usual surroundings can lead to breakthrough ideas.


So, it wasn't really a wrong turn I made this morning, just different. And that makes the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment